Vintage Pic of the Week:

Vintage pic of the week: "when exotic pets were the accessory du jour" Actress Phyllis Gordon with her cheetah. I'll just pretend my cockapoo is a wolf...

Monday, June 28, 2010

O Brother, Where Art Thou?


By way of further introduction to my life here, this is the face that I see every morning when I leave for my morning run. I can never remember his Thai name, so I call him ‘Brother’----mostly so I can say “hey brother”---props to you if you get the reference. He’s the one that understands me here in this house of otherwise little communication. Also, even though he isn’t the cleanest dog of my acquaintance, he is a much needed source of affection.

The other dog here, I named Nicodemus He used to be extremely skittish (all dogs here are), but today he almost followed me into the house and when I turned to scratch his ears he didn’t even pull away. There are TONS of dogs in Thailand and they bark like savage guard dogs, and yet---you have but to look them in the eyes and they run away. Lots of the dogs follow me on my run in the morning, but they eventually turn around and go home. Thais really like puppies (you always find them for sale in the markets), but they don’t much like the adults so a lot of them will raise them and then just let them go.

Note: this post dedicated to Michaela Maurine Proctor; dog lover extraordinaire.



2 comments:

  1. I just want to tell you how much I love reading your blog! That is all.

    ReplyDelete