Vintage Pic of the Week:

Vintage pic of the week: "when exotic pets were the accessory du jour" Actress Phyllis Gordon with her cheetah. I'll just pretend my cockapoo is a wolf...

Friday, September 20, 2013

Professional Develoment Moment: Pulling a Steven Spielberg

I've been spending this summer trying to get onto as many film sets as I can (slowly closing the disparity gap between my love of film and my actual experience with making it). This sometimes means driving long distances and giving hours of my time for free (and the benefits of craft services have been totally lost on me because I'm dieting...), but I really am learning and making great connections. This web series that I was an extra in just came out, have a gander:

I am definitely learning things, like learning from watching this that my eye line being so low makes it seem like my eyes are closed for 80% of my screen time in this video. Glad I'm learning that now and not seeing it reflected in the dailies of my first big break. 

I was also an extra in a Foundation for a Better Life commercial that filmed at the airport. In my time in New York this summer, I learned that as you're establishing yourself, it's good to go for parts that are as close to who you are as humanly possible. (People come out of college having played ages 14-40 and not realizing that having to compete with real 14 and 40 year olds means you should stick to that hot 23 that comes naturally). 


Being at this airport shoot, I was literally playing myself. I was "pretending" to wait at the baggage claim, an activity I have done at that very baggage claim dozens of times in real life. In fact, I was so convincing that at one point someone came up to me and whispered, "I think they're filming some commercial here, can you believe that?" and I whispered back "woah, that's crazy!" while I stood there with my completely empty luggage and my sunglasses that hadn't seen any sun. It made me feel like a sneaky secret agent to blend in so effectively. 

We had a scene where we were creating the feeling of a big, busy crowd as the principle actor walking down a long stretch of hallway and it was so funny for them to say "ACTION!" and create this very realistic-looking hub-bub (because we were in the real location) and then look closer to find that that guy standing at the rental car desk looking concerned is just muttering 'peas and carrots' and then----"CUT!" and on command all the people that looked like they were in their own little worlds turn around simultaneously and go back to one.  
(This guy said, 'hey, could I have a copy of that picture?' even though it's weirdly framed and we both look kind of uncomfortable. *My pretend travel buddy*)

There's a story my Dad always used to tell me about how Steven Spielberg got his start of which I can find no proof anywhere, but it's a good sentiment. Spielberg (guys, I know two people that are on terms to just call him 'Steve') got his start by being an intern at one of the studios. The way my Dad tells it though he had no permission to be on the lot at all. He just started letting people assume he was the director's nephew or son-in-law so he could just always be around (learning as much as he possibly could). Eventually, he found an empty office and without asking anyone moved in and made it his. Later, he found a parking spot and painted his name on it. He just sort of decided to be everywhere long enough that when they found out he had established himself under false pretenses, he had enough experience that he was an asset to them and they did hire him. 

I guess I've just got to make sure I'm everywhere learning everything and make sure to bring my own paint. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Just creeping on your blog - loving it. I couldn't read this post without drawing the similarity to Maeby Funke from Arrested Development. Watch it if you haven't!

    ReplyDelete